Speaking of composition notebooks, here’s something I’ve been meaning to blog about for months.
As you may recall, I continue to be quite partial to Mead Composition books, even though I generally prefer a smaller notebook for the sake of portability, and the paper doesn’t play well with fountain pens.
Nonetheless, I have one going at all times and I can’t seem to give it up. It functions as my most expansive idea journal, and sometimes (the horror!) my diary, when I’m in the mood, or when I want to write down a particularly memorable dream. There are also a couple of things I like to store in it — photographs and souvenirs — so one evening I sat down to make my very own pocket on the inside of the front cover.
Turns out, it’s not hard at all.
I forgot to take photographs as I went along, but the steps were essentially:
1. Cut a squarish piece of paper and make a small fold across the bottom. This is the body of your pocket; the fold is where you’ll attach it to your notebook.
2. Cut two slimmer rectangles of paper for the sides that are roughly as tall as the pocket itself (or less tall, if you’re like me and can’t be bothered to plan ahead). The idea is simply to give your pocket some depth when it’s completed.
3. Fold these rectangles twice lengthwise, like an accordion, i.e., /\/.
4. Tape or glue one rectangle to each side of the square piece of paper so that the V faces inward when the pocket is upright.
5. Tape or glue the bottom of the pocket to the notebook, then tape or glue the sides of the accordion. Actually, you need to tape, not glue, the sides if you want the pocket to open properly; if you want to use glue, you’ll need to make an extra accordion fold.
I’m sure there are more detailed instructions floating around the Internet, and that the truly crafty among you can find ways to make your pockets more beautiful than mine. But if you’re like me, and you like to plough ahead and make stuff without too much advance preparation, this is a perfect little project.
By the way, the paper I used was a nice, thick sheet from one of my Clairefontaine scrap books, which gave my pocket just the right amount of sturdiness.